Cracked heels are not just unsightly, but can be health risk as they can lead to an infection in the feet.
Our top 5 tips for fixing cracked heels include:
1) Using a moisturising cream in the morning to give the heels the added elasticity they need to prevent cracking during the day. The greasier the better. If slippery, just use it around the cracked areas and avoid putting on larger areas that you'll be walking on. Our favourite heel balm to use is Pedicare.
2) Use a foot file regularly on wet or dry feet (which ever works better for your skin type). If soaking the feet, avoid salt as it is drying, instead add a few drops of oil or some bi-carb to the water to soften to help soften the heels.
3) If split, use a a piece of rigid sports tape to hold the crack together whilst your feet heal. If one piece doesn't work, you can tape the whole region as needed. Not only will it hold the crack together, but the tape will lock all moisture into the heel area helping it mend again.
4) Never walk bear feet on hot surfaces. Imagine how dry your face would feel after 5mins on hot cement! Hot surfaces strip the natural moisture from the feet and cause cracking of the heels in a matter of minutes.
5) If heels need a serious clean up, your podiatrist will be able to get them back to baby smooth in a matter of minutes saving you the hastle and giving you a kick start in the right direction.
Note: Cracked heels, especially in diabetics, can lead to serious infections in the feet and if raw or bleeding you must always use an antiseptic and cover the area until healed.
for more info on cracked heels, click here.